OZ BLOG: Day 15 – 17, Kangaroos, Humpback Whales and Ducks. Wait, What?… Noosa North Shore, Australia

Noosa wasn’t originally on our vague itinerary of places to visit on the East Coast, but I’d heard it was nice this time of year. When the boys booked with Indie Travel back in Byron, Chris chucked in a ‘free’ canoeing excursion that happened to take place in the Noosa Everglades. It seemed logical to wait out the bad weather somewhere near by and book the excursion for Thursday (which was when the sun was due to put it’s hat on).


The guy behind the desk was very clear on what this park was all about. Like, there’s no clean water to drink. Also, the only way on and off of Noosa North Shore was via a very rickety barge system which costs about AUS$7 a time. This is kinda why we chose it though… we wanted some isolation.

And kangaroos.

The guy warned us about the resident kangaroos. The males, when stood on their tails were about 7ft tall and they were often found fighting each other in the campsite. Or standing between you and the toilets at midnight.

I figured it might be a while before the kangaroos came out to play but I was totally mistaken as this fuck off sized roo started bounding directly towards our campervan…

… and we all hid behind various van doors.

Do you know what no one ever tells you about kangaroos? No one ever says, ‘hey man, have you ever seen a kangaroo scratch? Because that shit is creepy.’

Weird thing to say, right? But this kangaroo sat back on his legs and reached around it’s pretty gnarly looking body to have a good ol’ scratch of the ribcage. It was terrifying. Truly. Terrifying.

Do you know what else is creepy about kangaroos? The way they slowly clamber across the ground… bouncing with their back legs, slowly pawing the ground with their arms. Are they arms? Or front legs? Slowly… whilst death staring you. Especially in the dark… where they sort of resemble a massive Gollum, with glowing eyes.

Moving on from the creepy kangaroos, I was mega excited to finally get everyone on board with whale watching. Even if it turned out to be a pretty poor excursion in terms of organisation and value.

We paid AUS$60 (about £30) which would have been incredibly good value had the boat actually found a bunch of whales. Instead, we drove for two hours over stomach wrenching waves before the captain asked us to scream for the whales to appear.

I had no idea that this was a modern way of summoning wild whales. *End sarcasm*

We then sat for a further twenty minutes whilst the captain took a break and we kept our eyes peeled for breaching humpbacks.

We found one.

One whale… on the not-so whale highway off the coast of Mooloolaba. And he wasn’t in the mood to do any party tricks for us. I even did my best whale accent.

He did however, grace us with a visit to the boat and even as a juvenile I was blown away by how big he was.

Another ten minutes later and he disappeared, but another individual was having a whale of a time (har har har!) in the distance. There was a horrible storm heading straight for us but I think our captain was feeling a little embarrassed about our lack of whale sightings… so he drove us straight into the storm.

We were getting closer and closer… I couldn’t see the whale but every time it plummeted back in to the sea metres of water shot up in to the air. So I knew it was there… even without my glasses on.


Sod’s law though, as we approached the whale and turned off the engine, he disappeared too. The captain continued to encourage everyone to scream in whale tongue at the empty horizon, until he was told that everyone was inside being sea sick.

Soaked through, hungry and a little disappointed (but hoping I’d captured the whale’s boat inspection on camera) we disembarked the boat.

And walked straight in to Underwater World (a sealife centre) because we refused to go home without interacting somehow with marine creatures.


The awesome starfish was probably the highlight of my visit… aside from the underwater tunnel with the giant rays in, and meeting the sea lion, and the jellyfish exhibition/ hall of mirrors.

We ended our stay at Noosa North Shore with a beautiful sunrise. We said goodbye to the fauna that visited us everyday for breakfast cornflakes (in other words… Bill and Shanaynay; the ducks) and we headed in to town to be picked up by our fat camp  Everglades camp supervisor.

If you wanna know about how a Canadian guy helped me catch crabs then please stay tuned.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close